Friday, August 10, 2007

Bitter Sweetness

Ok I know it has been a while but I have been in a transition phase and haven’t had much access to a computer. I finally made it to Cape town, South Africa. Leaving Rwanda was definitely harder then I imagined, saying goodbye to the people I had interacted with regularly and had established meaningful relationships with really tugged on my heart. A couple of nights before we left, Jim and I slept over at the University guy’s house for one last farewell get together. Imagine 6 guys staying in one room that is no bigger than a dorm. It was great. Doing nothing different than I would do with friends at home, we simply hung out, goofed off (I taught them the robot arm swing, which they loved), and talked about what we had enjoyed that summer. The next morning they took us out to breakfast, where we shared some last thoughts and then totally unexpectedly they paid for the bill. This may seem like a normal jester, but to Jim and I it meant a lot more. When you’ve spent a whole summer engulfed in a culture where the Mazungu represents money, which many times leads people to take advantage of you, and friends like Felix, Eugene, Prudent, Prosper, Christian, and Emmanuel pay for a bill it takes on a whole new meaning. It confirmed for Jim and I that we were not seen as Mazungu’s but had true friendships in these guys. Throughout the summer these friends had taught me more about myself and my faith, then they know and for that I am forever grateful. After exchanging emails and Skype names, Jim and I were off, thankful that God had placed our university friends into our summer experience.

Every day, for the last three days, I invited Israel over for lunch. This provided us some quality time for conversation, and enabled us to get know each other better. Israel has definitely been put through plenty of difficult times, experiencing a lot of the evil that engulfs this world, but still manages to display a faith and a love for Christ that I can only wish someday to possess. An orphan due to the genocide, that had been on the bottom, poor, lost and hopeless, and through his faith and determination Israel now is on his last year at the National University in Kigali, leads a choir that sings at various churches and is creating a gospel album, which he has written all the songs for, has put his younger brother through school, and enjoys life through the joy Christ has brought him. The morning that I left Israel showed up at 7 in the morning to drop off a gift for me and another gift for my mom, on my gift attached was a note that read,

“Aaron you’ve been a blessing to our country and especially for me. Really your love is from God!! I’ll never forget the way you used to invite me for lunch. I’ve seen and got the Love, not the food! I pray to see you back in Rwanda. You pray to see me in the USA one day even if it is like a dream”

The letter speaks for itself and sums up everything I tried to tell you about this man. I hope that everyone at some point in their life can meet someone like him.

Rwanda definitely exceeded my expectations. The internship, friends, the culture, living arrangements, the food, security, etc.. all made my time in Rwanda exactly what I wanted. The top 10 things that I will miss from Rwanda, in no particular order are:

1. Mazungu Celebertiy Status
2. Samboussa’s - triangular crusted pockets filled with spicy meat!
3. Traveling in the Matatu’s or on a moto, always provided an entertaining expierence
4. The Food for the Hungry staff and fellow interns
5. The children
6. Orange Fanta
7. Felix, Emmanuel, Eugene, Prudent, Prosper, Christian, Israel, Felix (the 2nd one)
8. Hooping it up with the locals
9. Having an excuse to not take a shower
10. African hospitality

Top 5 things I will not miss, in no particular order are:

1. Rice, beans, and bubble gum beef
2. Mosquito nets
3. Poverty
4. Anti-malaria medicine
5. Large amount of methane gas from the food

I am now in Capetown, South Africa with my friend Craig. I arrived a day an a half ago, and other then the fact that it has been pretty much rainy and cold the whole time, I am surely enjoying myself. It is good to see Craig again and kind of debrief with him everything that I experienced throughout the summer. Capetown is definitely different then Rwanda. The first few hours I think I was having a little culture shock. It is hard to believe that I am still in Africa and not in a European City. I haven’t had a chance to go visit any of the townships (poorer areas of South Africa) yet though, and am sure it will be a different experience. Capetown is beautiful; Craig and I yesterday hiked Table Mountain, in which we were able to see a full view of the city with the ocean by its side. Then meeting with the friends I met in Rwanda later that night, we were able to enjoy our night at a couple of the local pubs. Very Nice! Well I think from here on out, since I don’t have a lot of time to be on the computer every day, I will write each day about the “Event of the Day”. I love you all and miss you. Family, I know you are all together in Texas so if you want to meet up someday, message me and we will figure something out.

5 comments:

ReconciledBlogger said...

glad to hear you are enjoying cape town, hope your debriefing is going well. we missed you at the phoenix debriefing, but i think the barking spiders followed us...

TheWrightStuff said...

Bubba!!!

It was so good to see you and talk to you while we are on our Family trip (although we do need to work on that haircut)....we did miss you tons. We talked about you often and missed you more. However, I know that your time in Africa will reap so much more than you can imagine. I just read your last blog and it brought tears to my eyes. My little brother has become such an incrdible man....and even better an incredible man of God. I am so thankful for your time in Africa and everything you have learned and everyonng you have touched there. I am anxious for your arrival back in the US, but I know that your time in Africa will have been an experience you can never replace. I love you bubs....

I have to quit typing before I start crying (pregnancy hormones must be kickin in! haha)...

love,
Aubs

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

grandma said...

hi

grandma said...

hi
Aaron I am just doing a trail run on the Rwanda blog and I don't know if you read it now.
Let me know, before I write the things I want to talk to you about. O K?????
Love you Grandma

About Me

My photo
Living, Learning, Loving